Wednesday 18 February 2015

Sterling Spitfire



The year was 1993.  I was finished high school and going to university ( aerospace engineering ) in the fall.  A club member had brought out this 30 year old Sterling Spitfire and I was to be the test pilot.  I was nervous as hell, because this was an old kit and had never flown.  It had a Super Tiger 56 engine with two glow plugs, if I recall correctly.  Well, it flew and quite nicely at that.  I remember how graceful and smooth it was.  The elevator fluttered such that it was invisible in flight, but control was not affected.  Upon landing, there was no evidence of any damage and the hinges were very strong!  So, we just flew it like that!  It was eventually modified with flaps and retracts, some right thrust was put into it and then it truly looked the part.  It made the most beautiful 3 point landings.  I went to university dreaming about Spitfires!

This airplane was designed by George Harris and was featured in the February 1962 issue of American Modeler.  To this day ( Feb 19, 2015 ), this airplane probably still has the most accurate outline and the best flying qualities of any other 60 size Spitfire ( I have flown both the Pica and Top Flite Gold Edition models ).  It need only be modified for flaps and retracts, if you can find a kit!  It had the same markings as the Monogram 1/48 plastic kit of the same vintage, which makes me wonder if George didn't use that kit to help him design the R/C version.

Plans are available from The Outerzone.

No comments:

Post a Comment