Tuesday 10 June 2014

Hostetler Liberty Sport

I like engines as much as airplanes and so a few years ago, I decided that the OS Pegasus FF-320 should be in my collection, only I needed a subject airplane.  Years ago, I had test flown a Sig Liberty Sport for a club member and it became my favorite biplane of all time, just for styling.  So, I ordered Hostetler's 1/4 scale plans and after studying them, I decided that the Pegasus would fit nicely in the cowl with the firewall moved aft a little bit.  But, other things bothered me about the design.  It was anything but "Super Scale".  The top wing was clipped by about 7 inches and ailerons were added where there shouldn't be any.  The airfoil section was wrong and I didn't like aspects of the fuselage construction either, so it became another project that needs a re-design.  There was an article in June 1981 Scale R/C,

No comments:

Post a Comment