Monday 9 June 2014

Twin Otter

My dad converted the Telemaster into a twin trainer with a pair of OS 25 FP engines in the wings.  This was in preparation for the Twin Otter he was building from Model Builder plans ( July 1976 ).  The engines from the B-25 ( OS 48FS ) went into the Twin Otter.  As I recall, it weighed in at 15 pounds, or about a pound heavier than the B-25.  It flew well enough and seemed to have a realistic power loading.  All I remember is that it would bounce around quite a bit in wind, due to the high aspect ratio wing.  The flap arrangement wasn't built according to the plans.  Instead of having slotted fowler flaps with drooping ailerons, they were just plain flaps and the ailerons didn't droop.  As a result, the airplane tended to pitch up violently with flaps.  One had to use the left thumb on the elevator trim while trying to hold attitude with the right thumb.  Also, the airfoil was a thin symmetrical section and not ideal for STOL characteristics.  It was done in Air Transit livery.



This was a service that flew between Ottawa ( Rockcliffe ) and Montreal ( Victoria STOLport on the site of Expo '67 ).  My dad tells a story of when he and my mother went to visit my Grandmother in Ottawa.  The Twin Otter had such a steep approach angle, my mom thought the plane was going to crash.  She had been a flight attendant for Trans-Canada airlines flying on the DC-3, Northstar, Viscount, Vanguard, Super Constellation and DC-8.

All I have is an old video, flying at the Woodlawn field in Welland ( which is now a Walmart )

No comments:

Post a Comment